Many Americans are over medicated. Often medications are taken to decrease the side effects of another medication. Mean while, the pharmacy that you are prescribed may be making you more sick!
Nutrient deficiencies are very common with certain medications.
Here is a short list of the most commonly prescribed medications:
- 1. Metformin/ Glucose managing medications- Deplete B-vitamins, folic acid and CoQ10 and can often make neuropathy and fatigue worse.
- 2. Oral Contraceptive Pills- Deplete B-vitamins, folic acid and Progesterone
- 3. Acid blockers ( Omepraxzole, Rantidine, Prilosec)- Not only are they linked to increasing Alzheimers, they deplete your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients- B12, folic acid, Calcium/ Magnesium, Iron, and Zinc
4. Antidepressants- Often indirectly depletes the B-vitamins and folic acid which can make depression worse.
- 5. Antibiotics- Not only do they kill the bad bacteria, they kill the good flora. Probiotics are essential to replace the good bacteria in the gut and skin. Also B-vitamins become depleted when taking antibiotics.
- 6. Statin drugs (Lipitor, simvistatin)- They are now linked to increased risk of Alzheimers and dementia. Depletes CoQ10 in the body.
If you are on these medications, proper supplementation may prevent or minimize the nutrient depletion. Weekly B-vitamin shots can help rebuild b levels if you have a compromised digestion.
ARE YOU READY TO WEAN OFF MEDICATIONS? Dr. Kovalik can assist. Schedule an appointment to discuss optimzing your health and vitality!