I often get the question by many patients, “Does the flu shot work?” My answer is “How can a predicted flu vaccine cover the influenza virus that continually mutates?” It does not protect you from getting the flu. In fact, some people actually get sick from the vaccine. If you are concerned with ways to protect against getting the flu. There are many natural options. My favorite is the ENGYSTOL antiviral shot. It has been shown to reduce the incidence of getting the flu and can shorten the duration of a cold or flu when used regularly.
Keep your immune system strong over cold and flu season by following my immune boosting tips. It is normal to have 1-2 colds per year for a healthy immune response. If the illness seems to drag on and on or if you get frequent colds and illnesses your immune system is compromised. If a person also never gets sick, the immune response may also be hindered because it is not responding to the exposed viruses/ bacteria as it should and may promote an internal chronic condition.
There are some key elements that need to be addressed for over all immune health. It is important to optimize the health of the digestive system, adrenal support, eliminate food allergies, reduce stress, eat a healthy diet and get 7-8 hours of sleep nightly.
My favorite Immune system boosters:
1. Wash your hands regularly with regular soap. Don’t use antibacterial hand soaps (especially with Tricolsan). It not only kills the normal flora on your skin, it is a neurotoxin and can cause some hormone disruption.
2. Wet Sock Treatment- Use a thin pair of socks, get them wet with cool water. Wring them out well. Put them on your feet. Put a thicker dry pair on top. Go to bed and in the morning the socks should be dry. It is a hydrotherapy technique used to boost the immune system. You can use it nightly when you are sick or to prevent getting sick. You can also rub some essential oils on your feet before putting the socks on. It is safe for the whole family.
3. Vitamin C- 2-3 grams daily and can increase if sick to bowel tolerance
4. Antiviral Herbs like Oil of Oregano, Elderberry, Shitake Mushrooms, Garlic, Echinacea, Goldenseal, Viraclear, Bio-vegetarian blend or Astragalus. I like to rotate the immune herbs for the optimal defense.
5. Probiotics- 10-30 billion daily of quality probiotics for optimal digestive and immune health.
6. ENGYSTOL– Antiviral B-combo injection. Can be given weekly or once a month for preventative against colds and flu.
7. Cayenne Honey Lemon Tea- Drinking this tea daily can help ward off any respitory viruses and is great for digestion. If you have a sore throat or phlegm, drink it 2 times a day to boost the immune system.
8. Acupuncture can boost the immune system by reducing the severity of a cold or flu, open the lungs if constricted by phelgm and reduce sinus pressure and infection.
9. IV Myers’s Cocktail Push– A power packed IV push with vitamins (Vitamin C, B, Magnesium, calcium, trace minerals, and glutathione) to fight off any viruses, boost energy levels and keep you healthy this time of year.